Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Grandfather's Passing

18 March 2014, Tiapa Paea, Tahiti

Firstly, I’d like to offer my condolences for the death of Morfar (ed. note: Morfar is Norwegian for mother's - mor, father - far). However, I have to be honest, when I heard that he was in assisted living, I told myself "aita haere tera" (no go that), I thought he was gonna pull the plug himself and it looks like he did.

I have absolutely no doubt that he is happier on the other side, no doubts at all. He wasn't exactly happy to be here. He loved his family, but I think it would have been too much for him to watch the country go down the tube. By now he’s met ALL the ancestors that he is endlessly talking about, and he’s been reunited with Mormor (ed. note: mother's mother).

Plus, he will now be able to understand the importance of what all his grandchildren are doing in random places in the world (ed. note: 3 grandchildren; one in Norway, a cousin, Nathan Sperry, one in Tokyo, his sister Kirstin and one in Tahiti). Don't worry about him, he wouldn't want you to, I've received my confirmation that he is happy, and doing better than ever. :] So don’t stress, know that it’s not a long time and we will all see him again, and now his temple work can progress!!!

President Sinjoux called me with the news. I don’t know, it’s funny but I was actually expecting it that day, there seemed to be some kind of somberness in the day. Then when I saw that President Sinjoux was calling, I was like, “Morfar died.” He was a great Grandfather, a little odd but I could tell he really loved and was proud of us all in his own way. 

We had a zone activity on Monday. That’s why I didn't write.

My companion is getting transferred next week. Bummer! We don’t know where he is going yet. Oh, and I’m training here and will be the district leader here too. The District Leader here is over all the sisters’ areas, and if I need anything else done I go to the Zone leaders, who I live with, so that makes things easy.

I will be staying in this little neighborhood of a sector and train next week. I’m pretty excited, and at the same time a little nervous just because there is not much to do to fill up the day. If I get some gung-ho elder he might feel like what we are doing is useless, because let me tell you, its nothing like what your expectations in the MTC are like here. But whatever, plenty of opportunities to speak Tahitian here!!!! So I’m content. In fact this teeny tiny sector is like a cultural Tahitian melting pot. There are people from all the islands here. There are people that speak Magarevian, Marquisian, and Puamautu.

My new companion is going to speak lots of Tahitian with me! So that will be good for him, since most trainers here don’t speak Tahitian, to be honest. So he'll have a good foothold on the two languages at the end of this area. I hope he's cool and "flexible.” Elders that are too stiff end up not having a good time here, and the people aren't exactly fond of them as well. And in a sector like this, the only way we get new investigators is through the people. I also have a bad habit of singing Tahitian love songs (maybe it’s a bad habit *cough* cough*), or maybe it’s a good thing he won’t understand what I’m saying at first. ;]

I haven’t quite gotten used to this area yet; I just feel a little like I’m in a hamster cage but that will change once I know the members better.

I have a fear that the roads in my current sector will absolutely destroy my bike. The roads in this sector have a reputation of breaking frames. Yes you read me right, frames. If my bike was having trouble with flat Raiatea, it will not hold up here. I'm using a bike from one of the zone leaders who has a car, but he is being transferred too. I’ll see what I can do to get another one.

Aside from that, there’s not much to report on. Things are going well. The work is the same as ever, but we've got some plans to move it forward. I'm feeling just a little bit of what Kirstin feels right now, except here people are always home so we can do member visits pretty easily. And to organize a family night, it doesn't take much; just tell everyone to be there and whatever you do they love it! So probably not the same atmosphere as Japan!

OK. We have a lesson. I have to go!

Have a good week.