Saturday, January 31, 2015

Baptism of Teramai

26 January 2015 Tautira


Tautira village

Well, this week me semblais d'être mieux (just kidding). We had a good week. We were a little low on lessons, because I've been a little too long winded at lessons lately. It's a very Tahitian thing to talk for a long time. When I say talk I mean have long conversations. I think it comes from the fact that it’s very hard to say things in Tahitian without taking a long time. Anyways, I'm working to improve it.

Speaking of long winded, I'm not sure I've ever been to a baptism longer than the one we had Tuesday. It was about an hour and 45 minutes...that’s right over an HOUR. We had made the program, but at the last second so many people were added to give little testimonies :| so it was all changed without me knowing. Anyways, everyone was so excited that Teramai was being baptised that everyone who talked felt like they needed to share every experience they've ever lived with Teramai.

By the time the baptism happened we were all really antsy, or maybe it was just me ;) Anyways, it was dark, rainy, cold (well probably not that cold but when you've been in Tahiti for a while it was cold) and after 8:00 when we finally went into the font to do the baptism. I got to do it in Tahitian. It was incredible, to say the least. When the prayer started "no te mana i tuuhia mai ia u i Iesu Mesia..." it was like everyone took a breath and stepped back. Probably one of the most powerful baptismal services I've ever assisted. Her testimony was even better. She got up and started quoting scriptures from the Book of Mormon like she's been a member for years. All the other members that came were shocked, but like Sister Molinari said this week, that's just what happens when we READ THE SCRIPTURES. Anyways, it was a nice service, even though it was the longest the world has ever seen.

What else happened...? It rains ALL the time here. I'm on the rainy side of the presque île. It’s like the Rochester New York of Tahiti. I don't have much else to say. Fixed some more baptisms this week. I'm astonished by the fact that this is Week 9 of Elder Kokona's training. Meaning there’re only 3 weeks left after this week. Feels like we just started! Maybe I'll be leaving soon, who knows? This week I passed 18months on mission, almost to the big twenty.

Spiritual thought: I really like the thesis of 1st Nephi. Nephi shares it in 1 Nephi chapter one, verse 20. Try and find what it is.

Love you all and have a good week.